Your Guide to a Festive Fourth of July Party
The Fourth of July is almost here! All around America, families, friends, and neighbors will gather together to celebrate their nation’s independence. In the words of Founding Father John Adams, Independence Day “ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.” That sounds like a party!
With that in mind, we gathered resources to help you pull off a perfect Fourth of July party. Whether you’re looking for inspiration for food, decor, activities, music, or need to brush up on your American history, you’ll find resources in this list to help you pull it off without a hitch.
Fourth of July is one of the few holidays that takes place outdoors, which means there’s a good chance you’ll be barbecuing. You’ll also want to think about dessert—will it be it the classic apple pie, s’mores roasted over a campfire, brownies, or a little bit of everything? Why not make your food match the day: now’s the time to break out your patriotic recipes. Here are some resources to help you prepare and inspire your Fourth of July menu:
- Every barbecue needs a good grill master—here are some easy grilling tips to help you get started.
- End your meal on a sweet note: try a red-white-and blue cool treat for a hot summer day, or keep it simple with layered fresh fruit.
- Don’t forget the drinks! Make this crowd-pleasing sangria, or sub in white grape juice to keep it kid friendly.
What’s a Fourth of July party without some outdoor decorations? Check out these resources for some decor inspiration that goes beyond just red-white-and-blue items:
- Keep it casual with a backyard campfire, a tent, some hay bales, and hot dogs and s’mores.
- Try out some fun craft projects with your kids to keep it festive (and keep them occupied).
- Top it off with an American flag from Patriot Wood—perfect for both indoor and outdoor celebrations.
During the afternoon, it’s time for yard games and sports—but when the sun goes down, you’ll want to catch some fireworks. Here are some resources to help you plan your Fourth of July activities:
- Make this easy set for a new game everyone can enjoy, or break out the classics—no equipment required.
- Crank up the tunes with a patriotic playlist, perfect to take you from your barbecue to your fireworks display.
- Brush up on your fireworks knowledge: safety, trivia, and everything in between.
- Want to catch a fireworks show? Check out the best places across the country to watch fireworks.
Now’s the time to brush up on your American history. Your Fourth of July will be better if you better understand the context of what's happening.
- Explore the history of the Star Spangled Banner.
- Learn more about the Fourth of July.
- See five historic designs of the American flag as well as a complete history of the American flag.
Looking for even more ideas? Check out 99 Spectacular 4th of July Ideas from Signs.com.
We hope these resources help make your Fourth of July a success. Enjoy your party, be safe, and remember the reason we celebrate.
Find a great resource for Independence Day parties? Share it in the comments below!